Sign in to follow this  
noosh

Dermal Display

noosh    14
In his book Nanomedicine, Volume I: Basic Capabilities [available on the web at http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI.htm ], Robert A. Freitas Jr. describes [in section 7.4.6.7 (page 204)] a "programmable dermal display" in which a population of about 3 billion display pixel robots would be permanently implanted a fraction of a mm under the surface of the skin, covering a rectangle 6 cm x 5 cm on the back of the hand. Photons emitted by these pixel bots would produce an image on the surface of the skin. This pixelbot array could be programmed to form any of many thousands of displays. Each display would be capable of two functions: (1) presenting to the user data received from the large population of medical bots that roam the user's body; (2) conveying instructions from the user to that same large population of bots. The display could be activated or deactivated by finger tapping on the skin. This 3-minute animation illustrates the motions and live interaction of these display screens.

I began this project in March and it has been both the most challenging and the most educational of the animations that I have done so far. Since the functions illustrated on the display represent actual data that could be obtained in real time from a human body equipped with the dermal display screen each moment of this animation had specific guidelines for timing and movement directed to me from the author. I am very grateful to have had this experience in which I have learned so much and I hope that this animation helps to visualize what Robert A. Freitas Jr. theorizes in his wonderful books on the subject.

To see the movie click here (.mov 8.61Mb opens using Quicktime). Alternately you click here to view the movie (.wmv 10.14Mb opens using Windows Media Player).

Downloads require some patience, depending on what type of connection you have.

These movies have been compressed from their original quality for online downloading, due to this you may see lower resolution artifacts.

dermalsml.jpg

Now that is some really cool hardware if you ask me :p.

Source

Edited by noosh