8 replies to this topic

#1 BadBoyTazz4Ever

• Not The Normal Kind Of Nutty!

• Elite Members
  • 3462 posts
    • Time Online: 54d 8h 18m

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hey!

So for the last 2weeks i've been with out my Laptop since my power cord broke...

So as i've done many times before due to screen not coming on at parents place etc (It's a OLD Laptop) i took out the HDD & placed it one of my external enclosures & used another PC's outlook to get my mail...

So yesterday i manged to get a new power cord for the laptop, got back to work closed the PST file in outlook, closed outlook, stopped the drive took it placed it back in the laptop & switched it on! Windows booted perfectly no problems open outlook & i get this lovely msg on my screen:
"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists."

So i check my mail folder & the pst is suddenly 0kb (i know it was 400MB+) so has this happened to anybody els before? Anybody know of a tool to try & recover the pst? The mail is not my main concern, the contacts is...

Any ideas?

#2 Deezil

• Mooo!!

• Elite Members
  • 3881 posts
    • Time Online: 19d 23h 3m 20s

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

work lappy?

you absolutely shure you're actually using a pst and not an ost?

#3 Muhammed

• Developer Extraordinaire

• Elite Members
  • 734 posts
    • Time Online: 4d 20h 47m 51s

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hey!

So for the last 2weeks i've been with out my Laptop since my power cord broke...

So as i've done many times before due to screen not coming on at parents place etc (It's a OLD Laptop) i took out the HDD & placed it one of my external enclosures & used another PC's outlook to get my mail...

So yesterday i manged to get a new power cord for the laptop, got back to work closed the PST file in outlook, closed outlook, stopped the drive took it placed it back in the laptop & switched it on! Windows booted perfectly no problems open outlook & i get this lovely msg on my screen:
"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists."

So i check my mail folder & the pst is suddenly 0kb (i know it was 400MB+) so has this happened to anybody els before? Anybody know of a tool to try & recover the pst? The mail is not my main concern, the contacts is...

Any ideas?

Try running SCANPST.exe which is located in C:/ Program Files\Office\Office12\ or in C:/Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\

Most likely located in the Office Folder though.

I have office 12 (2007) , please refer to the relevant version of office on your laptop

Also check here for more info

#4 BadBoyTazz4Ever

• Elite Members
  • 3462 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

work lappy?

you absolutely shure you're actually using a pst and not an ost?

Nope "private" laptop but i use it for work purposes as well testing etc & then mostly only for my emails...

Jip i have a mail folder in mydocs with the pst in..., for the exact reason of making backups easier just one folder to backup My Docs & i did have a backup but i deleted it to make space for something els

Try running SCANPST.exe which is located in C:/ Program Files\Office\Office12\ or in C:/Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\

Most likely located in the Office Folder though.

I have office 12 (2007) , please refer to the relevant version of office on your laptop

Also check here for more info

Tried it, say's it's not a valid pst file & can't scan it!

#5 millennia

• Elite Members
  • 3492 posts
    • Time Online: 15d 7h 19m 25s

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Is it even looking at the correct pst? Do a search for *.pst on your hard drive.

#6 BadBoyTazz4Ever

• Elite Members
  • 3462 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Is it even looking at the correct pst? Do a search for *.pst on your hard drive.

Yes made sure it is the correct pst, finds only two pst's one named kobusl (my mail pst) 0kb & one named phone (phone contacts & calendar sync) 265kb both are in "c:\Documents and setting\Kobusl\My Documents\Mail"

EDIT: Don't know if it makes any difference (most probably will) but the one guy in the office said the pc did a scandisk when it booted, i was called to the other office to help with a laptop, i didn't see this part, i have no idea what i did but he said it had something about recovering & removing things...

Stupid Question: any place i can see the log of that scandisk? Since i can't find anything in the plain C drive where they normally are?

Edited by BadBoyTazz4Ever, 27 January 2009 - 11:57 AM.

#7 BadBoyTazz4Ever

• Elite Members
  • 3462 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Well i guess it's bye-bye mail & contacts!

I suppose i should set up a new one & start adding my contact as people mail me wondering wtf happened to me!

Thanx again for all the suggestions...

#8 demon

• "...so in essence he's a charou in a boer body"

• Super Moderators
  • 3382 posts
    • Time Online: 20d 14h 7m 53s

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

backups..... :)

#9 BadBoyTazz4Ever

• Elite Members
  • 3462 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

Yea so true demon!

Sad part is i had backups & then i got "comfortable" cause for 3years nothing happened & about 3months ago i deleted it to make space for software installs & as fate would have it as soon as you get comfortable Sh!t hits the fan!

Edited by BadBoyTazz4Ever, 29 January 2009 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users