Valheru

Media Server & Software

Valheru    71

So that time has come to do this proper, the reason being is that I want to share my current media with multiple devices. I have a machine running already, based on Windows 7 (legal) & Emby (legal). I now want to start ripping my DVD / CD content to this machine also. I had a look at DVDFab which appears to work nicely enough as it skips the DRM on the Disney / Nickleodeon content (Handbrake did not).

The Media "server" (PC) is going to get an upgrade soon as I am happy with how it works and how convenient it is to have my content available. Now the question is, do I look elsewhere for software? As above I will purchase as in some cases paid packages offer more versatility than freeware, and I want to rip the content that I own, DVD's as well as CDs.

Any suggestions otherwise would also be welcome.

Note:

Current: i5 Lynnfield, 4GB RAM, 1x500GB, 2x1TB

To Be: i7 Sandy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB, 2x2TB

Xiphan    1,326

HandBrake seems to be the go to program for video transcoding these days, and VidCoder seems to be the program based on HandBrake which is specially designed for ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays. However, it would appear that the problem you are having is bypassing the copy protection so you can make your own backups. For that you can look at the options VidCoder recommend under prerequisites for doing this, namely AnyDVD HD or Passkey Lite. Personally I've always been a fan of AnyDVD as it works on-the-fly to remove all known copy protections so that you can then watch your movie without any restrictions or rip the movie using a program like VidCoder.

Since you are inclined to purchase premium software you may be pleased to know they are currently offering a 20% discount off AnyDVD. ;) 

Valheru    71

Hi, thanks, will give that one a shot later, I have some DVDs to redo as I picked the wrong audio channel, so I will have them to compare.

Monty13    172

AnyDVD works well. Also, MakeMKV is another program that works very well - it will allow you to rip a DVD or BD straight to an MKV file which you then can throw at HandBrake