Sign in to follow this  
Carrots

PS VR

Carrots    48

With the local prices revealed for the Vive (R20K) and the OR (R15k without controllers), I decided that I will not get a first gen VR headset.

But, then I found out that there is already a third party app that allows you to use the PS VR on the PC; Trinus PSVR

It has some limitation at the moment, like the head tracking not working all that well yet. I've read in another article that it was limited to 60Hz. Maybe that has been fixed already?

Since I have a PS4 as well, but definitely want my PC as my "main" VR device, this seems like it could work out well. The PSVR, with PS eye and controllers will work out around R9k.

Now, if only I can find a proper comparison between all 3 on PC...

I saw a 9gag thing come past on my FB news feed about PS VR but honestly i have not looked into this at all. I'm not a big console gaming fan...

Slasher    159

I wouldn't go for PSVR. It is the 'most affordable', but if you have a PC capable of playing VR, that is most of the cost gone. The tracking on the PSVR is questionable at best, especially with the move controllers. They occlude like nothing and they are suboptimal to start with. Many big reviewers that had the most hope on PSVR were really dissapointed after longer stints with it.

There will be cheaper methods to get the Rift or Vive to SA coming - Trust me on that one.

Heck, if you wait till 2nd half this year, I can bring one in for you in a suitcase on our next trip back to SA and won't charge you shipping costs if I can make it fit.

The rift with touch is best when it comes to comfort. Vive is superior on tracking (I own a Vive, my brother a Rift). To get roomscale with the Rift (3rd camera, extension cables) will cost you slightly more than the Vive, but the difference is negligible.

Vive and Rift > PSVR by quite the big margin. Tracking is more than double as accurate and quality is better too. Controllers are incomparable.

Carrots    48

Even if I already have the PC and the PS4, the cost is still about double.

I did spend some time with the vive at rage, but was disappointed with the display. It was over saturated. What you could clearly see as spheres on the monitor, looked like 2D circles on the Vive. Can saturation etc be adjusted?

Controllers worked well though.

I didn't have the opportunity to play with the PSVR, but did put the headset on for 10 seconds or so. More jaggies, but otherwise OK.

From reviews, the PSVR seems the most comfortable due to better weight distribution.

I did read about tracking issues on the PSVR, but because no-one really compares it to the others, it's difficult to get a clear understanding of how much worse it is.

I doubt I would get a first gen VR, but if I do, it will have to be below R10k for everything. Even that is a bitter pill to swallow for me.

I had high hopes for a R6k OR when they were first announced. 

Slasher    159

There were quite good reviews by tested on youtube with every VR hmd release. Whilst not directly comparing one to the other in a single video, they do compare and give their opinions on which feels better every time.

Saturation and such can not be adjusted, but I have not once had a problem with over saturation. The two big downsides of the Vive vs the Rift (HMD Only) if they are compared is the more comfortable strap system on the Rift (Which Vive will be getting as an accessory soon) and the bigger sweetspot on the lenses (Which does however cause much worse god rays in the Rift than the Vive has).

The Vive fits more peoples head sizes and is easier to wear with glasses for more people (Mine fit in both headsets fine luckily). 

Oculus burned us a couple of times with their promises - $300 ballpark headset, Open culture in terms of game store exclusivity, promised items delivered (2nd headset protector foam) and some other things that just went away. I loved them for the DK1 and DK2, but couldn't get myself to pay them the money for a CV1 (although I was really tempted), until I tried the Vive. I was instantly convinced and still would only buy the Rift now (If I had to do it over again) if the Vive didn't exist on the market at all. 

We have a PSVR and Rift demo in the IT shop (saturn) near my work, but while I have done the Rift demo twice (once with touch) there, I have NEVER seen any rep there to demo the PSVR and as such have not had the opportunity to try it out at all. Really want to play with it, but so many discussions on reddit and by youtubers that compared it and said it doens't match up. Fast movement and even the slightest occlusion breaks tracking and thus immersion. 

Carrots    48

Thanks for the feedback. I have since read some more reviews, and specifically this one agrees with you wrt tracking:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/13/psvr-review/2/

This one lists some of the strong suits:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/13/psvr-review/2/

I wasn't going to buy the PSVR soon anyway, but now I know not to get it unless someone can make it work with other controllers on the PC.

In all likelihood I will wait until a gen two, unless they can get the PSVR to work with other controllers on the PC. 

Slasher    159

The problem is the controllers talk to the headset, not the PC, so neither touch nor Vive controllers work without their specific headset. 

I think we will see Gen 2 headsets by around mid 2019 at the soonest. Vive is definitely following an iterative approach though - new orders now have the new 3-in-1 cable that is thinner and less prone to tangling. They will also have the new headstrap in the next 6 months. 

And then, Wireless - something I think will be an amazing jump for VR and where it goes. 

This is still all really expensive though. First gen VR isn't going to drop in price soon - I suspect with Gen2 you will have 2 models to choose from though - one at spec level of Gen 1 for lower price and Gen2 with better / newer features at the price of Gen 1 launch roughly. 

I will be doing my best to get the Wireless kit later this year, still undecided on the new headstrap though - Vive isn't uncomfortable for me and I don't care for the built-in audio - I want to keep using my own cans and they might be an issue with the new strap. That being said, adding wireless is also a potential issue for using my own headset, so might end up getting both.

I have spent way too much money on VR, but at the same time, this is really revolutionary. I have seen so many non gamers love this. So many older people that don't like the idea of gaming that now can't stop talking about VR after trying it on. I am enjoying gaming (and even just listening to music playing audioshield or sound boxing). again. I am getting exercise as well whilst playing. Lots of social interactions more than in normal gaming - I play Table Tennis with my brother, yet we live 600+km apart. We have a laugh as we play some golf or throw a frisbee around. 

Carrots    48

Audio shield is the game I played at Rage. It was surprisingly fun.

I'm with you on the whole gaming to keep contact thing. The Division is how I keep regular contact with my friends who emigrated.

Pyro    571

I think the last one I used was the Hive - Friggen Awesome!

I definitely cannot afford a set of my own at this time, but for short stints it's a damn good experience!

Table tennis felt surprisingly natural even though the game is visually quite basic.

The shooting game I played also felt damn good - Raw Data.

Wish I had more time on that one. Played about two games, the first being mostly figuring out how things work.

Discovering you can dual-wield guns... ah Blissful Gunplay Gangster!

Edited by Pyro